FINALLY AN ANSWER TO ALL YOUR HANDBRAKE (or lack thereof) PROBLEMS!
Introducing the newest version of the BBG transfer case handbrake kit - a no fuss, premium quality bolt-on solution! Now with electric operation - which gives far superior holding ability and super simplified install and actuation. And heck, it will even mean you can remove your factory handbrake lever if you wish and run a centre console fridge!
Precision CNC machined from high strength aircraft grade 7075 T6 Aluminium with a Mil-spec Hard Anodised finish for ultimate durability and a sleek appearance.
Unlike anything else on the market, this kit:
- Is precision CNC made (not some bulky bits of mild steel MIG welded together)
- Is located in a nice concealed spot, minimising potential damage
- Minimalist componentry
- Will never need adjusting. EVER.
- Will never rust
- Does NOT require output shaft flange removal
- Can be completely bolted on in under 30 minutes
- Includes extremely in-depth installation instructions and videos
- Caliper and pads designed specifically for static holding ability
- 7x Series Land Cruiser with the HF1a transfer case (76, 78, 79)
- 80 & 105 Series Land Cruiser with HF1a transfer case
Benefits of a disc brake transfer case handbrake:
- It actually works (and it works exceedingly well) - unlike the factory drum brake at each wheel.
- By clamping the tail shaft at the transfer case you are effectively quadrupling the clamping force of the brake due to the differential ratio
- Being a disc setup; mud and water will not get trapped inside and limit/ruin the internal components of the assembly like a drum brake
- Simplifies the vehicles handbrake system - which is especially handy for those who have swapped rear axles from other vehicles
- The disc hub is multi drilled which fits most common Toyota tail shaft PCDs - so you can take this with you if you change transfer cases or even get a different car.
What you get:
- 1x BILLET BRAKE DISC HUB & BRAKE DISC ASSEMBLY
- 1x BILLET CALIPER MOUNTING BRACKET
- 1x BILLET BRACKET SPACER BOSS (HF1L KIT)
- 2x BILLET CALIPER SPACER BOSSES
- 1x EPB BRAKE CALIPER WITH CUSTOM BILLET BRAKE PAD SPACER
- 1x BBG EPB HANDBRAKE CONTROLLER UNIT
- 1x TERMINATED CALIPER PLUG & LEAD
- 1x SWITCH (CHOICE OF OE STYLE OR CUSTOM ROTARY SWITCH)
- 1x RELAY/FUSE+BASE/HOLDER
- HIGH TENSILE BRACKET & CALIPER MOUNTING BOLTS (BRACKET BOLTS ARE MODEL SPECIFIC)
- HIGH TENSILE TAILSHAFT MOUNTING BOLTS & CONELOCK NUTS
CHOOSING THE CORRECT BRACKET FOR YOUR TRANSFER CASE:
7x SERIES MODELS - Throughout most of the models of the 7x series, the transfer case is much the same (HF1a part-time) however, the body/underbody configuration of these vehicles does vary enough to make a difference to which kit you buy. That is why we offer the LEFT and RIGHT hand mount versions.
- A pre-DPF Single Cab 79 will need the right hand mount bracket, due to its fuel tank being in the way of having a left hand mount bracket.
- A DPF model Single Cab will likely be able to fit the left hand mount bracket as the fuel tank is in a different spot.
- A Dual Cab 79 should fit the left hand mount bracket
Though, I must stress - Please don't take my examples for gospel and/or just guess. It is crucial to get under your vehicle and visually (and physically) check which bracket will suit your application best. Some reference measurements can be found below, while reference photos found in the main photo section.
80/105 SERIES MODELS - Throughout the 80/105 Series, there were some models (base models usually) that came out with the HF1a part-time transfer case. A lot of people also retrofit the HF1a case to their vehicle. So either way, if you know you have the part-time transfer case, the left hand mount bracket will be the one that suits
HF1A TRANSFER CASE ON ANOTHER VEHICLE? - If you have fitted an HF1 transfer case to another vehicle or you have a model that comes with one from factory and I haven't listed it - Please contact us first to confirm fitment and also to help me update my list of compatible vehicles
MEASUREMENTS TO CHECK FITMENT
- OVERALL DIAMETER OF ASSEMBLY
This is measured from the centre of the output shaft, to the outer-most diameter of the overall footprint of the caliper with motor attached. 160mm Radius
- OVERALL HEIGHT OF ASSEMBLY
This is measured from the abutment face of the bolt heads on output shaft housing/casing. Measurement is allowing for the bare minimum with a plug connected. This overall measurement (230mm) is obviously to the plug, which as seen, is only a small section protruding above the motor body. Height to the top of the main motor body is 190mm
HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS:
The EPB (electric park brake) caliper is actuated via a switch. This sends a signal to our proprietary BBG EPB Control Module, which has all the logic programmed into it.
When the caliper is told to engage, it will drive the caliper piston until it senses it is clamped, then it will shut off and actuate the circuit for the factory park brake light on the dash board. Giving seamless factory-like integration.
When the caliper is told to disengage, it will drive the piston backward for x amount of time - thus un-clamping the disc and giving you full drive. After this has occurred, the circuit for the park brake dash light will disengage.
What if I have the previous version cable actuated kit, can I upgrade?
Yes, most certainly. All the mounting hardware is the exact same, it's just the new EPB caliper, control module & wiring components you need. You can choose the 'upgrading an existing kit' option when checking out.
Does the caliper need constant power to stay clamped?
No, it doesn't. It is only given power to the motor to engage or disengage the caliper
Can the caliper loosen once engaged?
No, the caliper is actuated by a high torque, gear reduction motor. The piston cannot be moved unless actuated.
What if my battery goes flat? Is there a manual override?
Yes, you can simply remove the motor from the caliper (2 bolts) and manually wind the piston in or out.
What about river crossings/bog holes and/or general off-road abuse?
The motor is a fully sealed unit, which is o-ring sealed onto the main caliper body. The caliper also utilises a fully waterproof electrical plug. So, no, there is no chance of water ingress or any issues caused by water/mud/sand/dirt.
I have had this setup on my vehicle for over a year now and have had zero issues.
How do I do hill-starts with the switch?
Hill-starts are actually even easier now with EPB kit. As soon as you have pushed/rotated your switch to disengage the handbrake, you will be free to drive. There is no waiting time from when you have actuated the switch. It is basically instant.
So much the same as what you would do with a traditional mechanical handbrake lever - bring the clutch to friction point, then simply disengage the handbrake via the switch and you're away. Simple as that!
I want to use a different switch?
We don't advise using different switches to what we have tried and tested, however, you CAN if you use the correct type of switch. The switch NEEDS to be a 3 position momentary type. (Resting position is OFF, Momentary push/rotate for other two positions.
If you are wanting to use a different switch, please check with us to confirm BEFORE checkout.
Can I eliminate my factory handbrake lever?
Yes, you can if you so desire. This kit is a completely stand-alone system. It can be used in conjunction with your factory park brake or used solely on its own.
Many customers will be able to run a centre console fridge in-place of their existing handbrake lever now, by using our electric kit - which is pretty awesome!
- On the HF1a transfer cases, the factory bash plate will be in the way and will need to be removed. It should be fine on the HF2a t/case. However, regardless, the disc does sit slightly below the bottom of the case. We are working on developing a custom bash-plate to fit both vehicles that works with our kits, however, at this point in time it will be left up to the end-user to decide what they do in regards to a bash plate.
- Due to the differences in everyones wiring/12v setup in their car, we are only supply a few fundamental wiring components with the kits. We are working on getting a universal wiring harness made, however, for the time being, we supply the core wiring components and it is up to the end user to supply and install any wiring necessary.
If you are not well versed in 12v wiring, please engage someone who is. Incorrect wiring can destroy the electrical components. We take no responsibility for any issues due to incorrect wiring/installation.
THESE KITS COMPLY TO ALL THE RELEVANT ADRs FOR A VEHICLE SECONDARY/PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM. This means that if you are wanting to have your vehicle engineered with one of our handbrake kits, it will just need to be inspected and the holding ability on a certain % grade - tested by your inspector/engineer.
So as long as it's installed correctly and adjusted & working properly there should be no issue engineering this product.
INSTRUCTION MANUAL: Accessed via QR code inside your box
We are solely the supplier of goods. These are intended for 'off-road' use. We take no responsibility for any faults to do with installation of the product or any on-road legalities. Please take your car to a licensed mechanic if you do not know what you're doing or are not comfortable with undertaking this job.
We do not cover any damage done to this kit from underbody impacts from objects off-road. If you are using your vehicle for serious off-roading, it is well advised to have correct underbody armour installed or made to suit - to shield all key underbody components
THIS IS NOT A DRIFT HANDBRAKE, IT IS A STATIONARY PARK BRAKE - PLEASE DO NOT ACTUATE THE HANDBRAKE UNTIL YOU HAVE COME TO A STOP OR CLOSE TO IT. The forces exerted through this brake can quite easily snap a tailshaft or other driveline components
© BOOSTED & BUILT GARAGE - 2022