FINALLY AN ANSWER TO ALL YOUR HANDBRAKE (or lack thereof) PROBLEMS!
Introducing the newest version of the BBG transfer case handbrake kit - a no fuss, premium quality bolt-on solution! Now with electric operation - which gives far superior holding ability and super simplified install and actuation. And heck, it will even mean you can remove your factory handbrake lever if you wish and run a centre console fridge!
Precision CNC machined from high strength aircraft grade 7075 T6 Aluminium with a Mil-spec Hard Anodised finish for ultimate durability and a sleek appearance.
Unlike anything else on the market, this kit:
- Is precision CNC made (not some bulky bits of mild steel MIG welded together)
- Is located in a nice concealed spot, minimising potential damage
- Minimalist componentry
- Will never need adjusting. EVER.
- Will never rust
- Does NOT require output shaft flange removal
- Can be completely bolted on in under 30 minutes
- Includes extremely in-depth installation instructions and videos
- Caliper and pads designed specifically for static holding ability
All models of 80/105 Series Land Cruiser with the HF2a Full Time 4WD Transfer Case;
HOWEVER - There are a few variances which need to be checked/addressed
1: Speed Sensor: There are several variances (from what we've seen so far) of speed sensors on the HF2a cases.
- Cable drive speedo - No problem
- Cable drive with cruise control (VX models) - Currently the cruise control module won't fit our bracket
- Electronic Speedo - There appear to be two types, one will not fit, one will fit. If you have the bulkier style sender, you should be able to swap to the slimline version (p/n 8318112020)
2: Auto or Manual:
It has come to our attention that the automatic vehicles have a slightly longer overall length of the gearbox/transfer case and thus may cause clearance issues to the fuel tank. We are still trying to compile a list of vehicles where this is an issue. However, for the time being if you have an auto and aren't sure, shoot us a message and we can discuss fitment distances etc
Benefits of a disc brake transfer case handbrake:
- It actually works (and it works exceedingly well) - unlike the factory drum brake at each wheel.
- By clamping the tail shaft at the transfer case you are effectively quadrupling the clamping force of the brake due to the differential ratio
- Being a disc setup; mud and water will not get trapped inside and limit/ruin the internal components of the assembly like a drum brake
- Simplifies the vehicles handbrake system - which is especially handy for those who have swapped rear axles from other vehicles
- The disc hub is multi drilled which fits most common Toyota tail shaft PCDs - so you can take this with you if you change transfer cases or even get a different car.
What you get:
- 1x BILLET BRAKE DISC HUB & BRAKE DISC ASSEMBLY
- 1x BILLET CALIPER MOUNTING BRACKET
- 3x BILLET MOUNTING BRACKET SPACER BOSSES
- 2x BILLET CALIPER SPACER BOSSES
- 1x EPB BRAKE CALIPER WITH BILLET BRAKE PAD SPACER
- 1x BBG EPB HANDBRAKE CONTROLLER UNIT
- 1x TERMINATED CALIPER PLUG & LEAD
- 1x SWITCH (CHOICE OF OE STYLE OR CUSTOM ROTARY SWITCH)
- 1x RELAY/FUSE & BASE
- HIGH TENSILE BRACKET & CALIPER MOUNTING BOLTS (BRACKET BOLTS ARE MODEL SPECIFIC)
- HIGH TENSILE TAILSHAFT MOUNTING BOLTS & CONELOCK NUTS
CHOOSING THE RIGHT TRANSFER CASE:
Throughout the 80/105 series, there were two different model transfer cases (HF1A & HF2A)
- THIS KIT WILL FIT AN HF2A CASE THAT HAS THE PART TIME CONVERSION KIT INSTALLED. As long as the outer case is the same and the offset from the output shaft case to the output shaft flange is the same, there is no problem.
- THIS KIT WILL NOT FIT THE HF2V TRANSFER CASE (Viscous Coupler) Found in most USDM 80 Series and some AUDM. These can be recognised by their very long rear housing.
The HF2A is the full-time 4WD case
If you don't know which transfer case is in your vehicle there are a couple of ways to check:
- The HF1a equipped vehicles will have front locking hubs from factory
- The HF1a transfer case has the output shaft very close to the main case (roughly 75mm from flange face to the bolt face of rear cover). Opposed to the HF2a transfer case which is almost double
The HF1A is the part-time 4WD case (usually in the base model variant of Land Cruisers)
If you have this transfer case - please see our other listing for the HF1
HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS:
The EPB (electric park brake) caliper is actuated via a switch. This sends a signal to our proprietary BBG EPB Control Module, which has all the logic programmed into it.
When the caliper is told to engage, it will drive the caliper piston until it senses it is clamped, then it will shut off and actuate the circuit for the factory park brake light on the dash board. Giving seamless factory-like integration.
When the caliper is told to disengage, it will drive the piston backward for x amount of time - thus un-clamping the disc and giving you full drive. After this has occurred, the circuit for the park brake dash light will disengage.
What if I have the previous version cable actuated kit, can I upgrade?
Yes, most certainly. All the mounting hardware is the exact same, it's just the new EPB caliper, control module & wiring components you need. You can choose the 'upgrading an existing kit' option when checking out.
Does the caliper need constant power to stay clamped?
No, it doesn't. It is only given power to the motor to engage or disengage the caliper
Can the caliper loosen once engaged?
No, the caliper is actuated by a high torque, gear reduction motor. The piston cannot be moved unless actuated.
What if my battery goes flat? Is there a manual override?
Yes, you can simply remove the motor from the caliper (2 bolts) and manually wind the piston in or out.
What about river crossings/bog holes and/or general off-road abuse?
The motor is a fully sealed unit, which is o-ring sealed onto the main caliper body. The caliper also utilises a fully waterproof electrical plug. So, no, there is no chance of water ingress or any issues caused by water/mud/sand/dirt.
I have had this setup on my vehicle for over a year now and have had zero issues.
How do I do hill-starts with the switch?
Hill-starts are actually even easier now with EPB kit. As soon as you have pushed/rotated your switch to disengage the handbrake, you will be free to drive. There is no waiting time from when you have actuated the switch. It is basically instant.
So much the same as what you would do with a traditional mechanical handbrake lever - bring the clutch to friction point, then simply disengage the handbrake via the switch and you're away. Simple as that!
I want to use a different switch?
We don't advise using different switches to what we have tried and tested, however, you CAN if you use the correct type of switch. The switch NEEDS to be a 3 position momentary type. (Resting position is OFF, Momentary push/rotate for other two positions.
If you are wanting to use a different switch, please check with us to confirm BEFORE checkout.
Can I eliminate my factory handbrake lever?
Yes, you can if you so desire. This kit is a completely stand-alone system. It can be used in conjunction with your factory park brake or used solely on its own.
Many customers will be able to run a centre console fridge in-place of their existing handbrake lever now, by using our electric kit - which is pretty awesome!
- For the 80 series models, you will need to cut a tiny bit off the corner of your fuel tank bash guard to clear the caliper motor/plug. On the 105 series, this is not necessary.
- On the HF1a transfer cases, the factory bash plate will be in the way and will need to be removed. It should be fine on the HF2a t/case. However, regardless, the disc does sit slightly below the bottom of the case. We are working on developing a custom bash-plate to fit both vehicles that works with our kits, however, at this point in time it will be left up to the end-user to decide what they do in regards to a bash plate.
- Due to the differences in everyones wiring/12v setup in their car, we are only supply a few fundamental wiring components with the kits. We are working on getting a universal wiring harness made, however, for the time being, we supply the core wiring components and it is up to the end user to supply and install any wiring necessary.
If you are not well versed in 12v wiring, please engage someone who is. Incorrect wiring can destroy the electrical components. We take no responsibility for any issues due to incorrect wiring/installation.
THESE KITS COMPLY TO ALL THE RELEVANT ADRs FOR A VEHICLE SECONDARY/PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM. This means that if you are wanting to have your vehicle engineered with one of our handbrake kits, it will just need to be inspected and the holding ability on a certain % grade - tested by your inspector/engineer.
So as long as it's installed correctly and adjusted & working properly there should be no issue engineering this product.
INSTRUCTION MANUAL: Accessed via QR code inside your box
We are solely the supplier of goods. These are intended for 'off-road' use. We take no responsibility for any faults to do with installation of the product or any on-road legalities. Please take your car to a licensed mechanic if you do not know what you're doing or are not comfortable with undertaking this job.
We do not cover any damage done to this kit from underbody impacts from objects off-road. If you are using your vehicle for serious off-roading, it is well advised to have correct underbody armour installed or made to suit - to shield all key underbody components
THIS IS NOT A DRIFT HANDBRAKE, IT IS A STATIONARY PARK BRAKE - PLEASE DO NOT ACTUATE THE HANDBRAKE UNTIL YOU HAVE COME TO A STOP OR CLOSE TO IT. The forces exerted through this brake can quite easily snap a tailshaft or other driveline components
© BOOSTED & BUILT GARAGE - 2022